Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hello Everyone!!! Just thought I'd share a few examples of "Apple Butter in Art". It doesn't surprise me that this long-cherished tradition would inspire so many to start dipping their brushes into the warm, rich colors of autumn.
Stay tuned for "Apple Butter in Verse".


In this painting by "local" artist Pat Saunders, you can see that this family has turned making apple butter into quite a production. Notice the number of people milling about -- a large congregation of friends and family. Seems familiar, doesn't it?. In contrast, this painting depicts the process as a small family chore -- and I sure do feel sorry for that Mom. And why is that little girl standing so close to the pot??? And why is that boy bringing un-schnitzed apples??? This is an apple butter disaster waiting to happen!!!!

In this painting by Grandma Moses, you can see that the kettle and paddle look pretty much just like what we use. I wonder what those two ladies are talking about.






No comments: